Search

Saturn Rising - January 2020 Soap Challenge

Updated: Jan 22

Hi Everyone

This blog post is going to be briefer than the ones I've done in the past. The reason for this is that I now make videos of my Challenge Club soaps and post them to YouTube. However the rules for the Challenge Club 'Link-ups' are that any videos must be less than 5 minutes in length. Mine are longer as I go into the details of how I make my soap, so if you'd prefer to watch a video, why not head over there (the video is just over 16 minutes long), clicky thing to take you to the video.


If you don't fancy that, hey that's cool too, I hope you enjoy the blog, I've tried to keep it as a less than 5 minute read, so mainly focussed on the process, so not a lot of 'chatty stuff' so I hope it's not boring :-) . If you just want pictures, then scroll to the bottom.

This month's challenge was to produce a landscape soap, I chose to go into space for my entry. My inspiration picture was a view of Saturn from it's moon Titan. I liked the idea of this picture to fulfil the landscape requirement as it was taken from the moon's surface, I also liked the challenge of producing Saturn with it's rings. (something I changed my mind about later on).






I started off making the planet surface of Saturn, I wanted to have some stripes going across the surface of the planet to give this sort of affect so that ruled out using any sort of column mould or pipe. So instead I put a divider down the centre of my loaf mould and did a thin lines wall pour to get the affect I needed. I would have love to have been able to cut out a single tube but that wasn't going to work, so had to cut smaller segments and join together later.


Saturn's rings were made with three layers of soap dough, the outer layer being planed from a block I had made, like a big soap curl, so that it would give a smooth finish to the rings.

I also made several sets of rock formations and lots of mini rocks / rubble for the base of the hills and edge of the sea. I used a garlic press to squeeze out bits of soap dough and trimmed them close to the press to form the rubble.

Once the embeds were complete I started the pour. I used 3 colours on the foreground and between the two large rock formations to get some shadow and colour into the areas


Little collections of mini rocks were added in piles, and then mixed/covered in a fluid soap batter to ensure they were held into the soap properly without any airpockets.

For the large rock hills, which were two separate pours, I slanted my mould and poured on an angle, I used an in the pot swirl so that the rocks were not just a flat colour and also so I could darken them as I got to the top, I roughed up the surface and allowed to set enough that they would hold their shape. I also added mini rubble rocks to the base of each of the large rock pours.

I then went in and scraped back an area for the sea, making sure that I made the surface 'below' ground level uneven as I didn't want the sea to have straight sides. I poured the sea in and also added white between the layers to add the affect of waves.




After the sea I added in another layer of lighter ground, some more rubble on the sea edge, the middle rock embed and pored another set of large rocks.

When all of the other elements were in I then poured part of my sky, allowed it to get to a thick enough consistency to support Saturn, placed the embed and then completed the sky. I added some white to the sky using a squuze bottle, to get some movement in the sky rather than it just being a solid orange colour.



When I was all poured, the soap was wrapped and CPOPed, I then cut it after about 36 hours.


I'm really pleased how the soap came out, all of the elements came through really well.





Thank you for taking the time to read my blog. I hope you enjoyed it. Please feel free to leave a comment below.

If you did want to watch the video, click here.


Have a brilliant day and happy soaping.


Lisa

272 views
  • Instagram

©2019 by I Dream In Soap. Proudly created with Wix.com